Friday, January 29, 2010

Farewell Aunt Gen

I got some sad news this week. My Great Aunt Gen has died. Aunt Gen was 93 and in recent years she suffered from Alzheimer's dementia, but I will always remember her as part of a duo. She and my Great Aunt Jessie spent their entire lives together. Neither married, and they lived and worked together for most of their lives. Aunt Jessie passed away several years ago and I think that Aunt Gen wasn't the same without her.
When I was young they lived fairly close and came to visit for holidays with my Grandpa and Uncle Ted. I remember the big hugs and how they doted on me and my brothers. I also remember when we all went out for pizza one night, but we had to rush home so Jessie and Gen could watch an important episode of Dallas! And the Christmas they sat giggling on our couch reading "Real Men don't Eat Quiche" and drinking wine.
I fondly remember spending two weeks with them one summer when my parents and my brothers went on a trip to look at colleges in the west. My aunts took me to see the musical Peter Pan and to a Fourth of July parade. I realize now what a change it was for them to have a 10 year old living with them for two weeks. They taught me to knit those two weeks. I made a small blanket to use for my dolls. It was pink and my aunts really made most of it, but its a nice memento of that stay. I still have it.
The first picture is of Jessie and Gen with my parents at my wedding. I always appreciated that fact that they and Uncle Ted made the trip to see me get married. Jessie is in the ivory and Gen is in the blue. Its a big trip from Illinois to Arizona when you're in your 80's. The second picture is of Aunt Gen a few years ago. I'm a little ashamed that its the last time I saw her. It was so hard that she didn't really remember who I was.


Rest in peace Aunt Gen. and Aunt Jessie. I miss you. I hope you're both on a couch in heaven watching Dallas, or drinking wine and giggling!

No comments: